At first no more than a wooden fortification around a Royal Saxon City (Bebbanburh - named after Bebba, wife of the Saxon ruler Ethelfrith) which was over-run and sacked by the Danes in 993, the castle was first built in stone by the Normans in the 12th centaury. Impregnable until the 15th century, it eventually came under cannon fire during the Wars of the Roses and fell after a 9-month siege. With breached walls it ceased to have military significance.
In this painting we see the castle rising magnificently above the golden sands of the beach.
Craster is a small fishing port famous for its production of kippers (smoked herring).
The village of Craster owes its name to the Craster family. The first mention of the family is reference to William de Craucetr holding the estate in 1272.
It was the Craster family who built the present harbour in 1906 in memory of Captain John Craster who was killed during active service in India, in 1904. Today Craster is best known for its kippers, L Robson and Sons Ltd have supplied the Royal Family in the past. The kippers and smoked salmon are prepared in the traditional method of oak smoking. The smoke house is on the left of this painting.